As stated in the subject line I am new to the Altec line with this pair recently purchased. I am not, however, new to vintage audio. I have spent almost 20 years buying all the wrong things to eventually find out what what was the right things.
Lots of research and reading. I also belong to AudioKarma and have found immensely enjoyable and fulfilling to be a part of that forum. I wanted to come here and ask on a specific Altec forum what my next steps would be. I am very afraid of doing the wrong thing. I can't imagine anyone would want to "trail and error" these. They sound astonishing. I will not go into my initial impressions because I believe there are no words to describe the quality of what I have been listening to.
Maybe later...
For now a little background.
Purchased from a friend of mine that was using them in his garage.... yes, garage. I had no idea he even had them. For whatever reason they were hidden away or something before but one day there they were.
He played them and I had never even heard another Altec. I have read about them and the price tag was always so far away i never pursued them. My best acquisition before the Altec's were a pair of very nice original owner ads L1590. I love them. I use a Scott LK-72, Sherwood S5500 - IV, and a Pioneer SX-1010 as my mains and rotate. But I will be honest, the Scott is a hands down winner to me.
I asked him about the Altec's and he proceeded to tell me that I should buy them... I think I was unaware my jaw was on the floor, but he wasn't. He told me what i could buy them for and I thought I did not hear him correctly.
He used a price that I could afford. Well, he let me make payments. What and incredible gesture. To be honest it is more than I have ever spent on speakers but not the staggering amounts I have seen for Altec's.
They are in cheap cabinets, but work well. I will now be considering the next step witch is new cabinets. I have read about Onken, Stonehenge V style cab's, 612, 620's... goes on and on.
As stated, I wanted to come to the place that would know what I am dealing with here. How about some pic's of what I am dealing with...
I will try to update more later. For now, thank you in advance for not allowing me to screw this up.
bvDD2tG.jpgT91NWnh.jpgbMVUVBj.jpgBSeTJPz.jpg
Tim






Bookmarks